Nylon 66 sight repair and/or replacement

If it's broke, get help fixing it here!

Moderators: mac66, LouieMacGoo

Nylon 66 sight repair and/or replacement

Postby ballistx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:24 am

I have two problems that I am in need of some advice for. First, I had purchased a nylon 66 that someone had broken the head off the windage screw. I obtained a new windage screw and tried to gently lift the rear of the sight to remove the old one. It ended up lifting the rear of the sight permanently. Apparently there is absolutely no spring to the base of the sight. Is there a means to get it back down short of replacing the rivet?

The second issus is that I purchased another nylon 66 that was missing the sights. I obtained the sights and now have to replace the rear sight. Is there a reasonable availability of rivets or is there a replacement rivet that is a "standard" rivet?

What is the best method of installing the rear sight rivet?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
ballistx
Nylon Newbie

Re: Nylon 66 sight repair and/or replacement

Postby HEADKNOCKER » Mon May 25, 2009 7:34 pm

First I know this is an old post with no reply..
I'm a Newbie here BTW..
I am having the same troubles as you as My N66MB 1959 Model has/had the rear sight windage screw head broken off..
I tried removing the screw without removing the sight assembly from the reciever cover but because there's a small "Hidden" tab on the bottom side of the sight this is impossible..
I went ahead & took a small dremel ball & removed the staked part of the rivet from the underside of the reciever cover & with the rivet head inside a small 1/4" socket & with a punch drove the rivet out..
Went ahead & cleaned the rust etc from the sight assembly & restaked the bottom of the elevation screws tennon washer..
Cold blued the parts to make them look as good as possible for being 50 years old this next month..
I don't have a "New Windage Screw" or "Sight Rivet" YET!!
Wondered were you found yours at ballistx??
I've looked at Numbrich/E-Gun Parts, Midway & Brownell's without any luck.. I will try calling Remington thought..
I took a few pics of the parts to try an show why you can't pry up the rear of the rear sight, there's a "Hidden Tang" there..
If all else fails I'll make a windage screw & rivet..
Lucky for me I have a Bushnell 3x7x18 rimfire scope mounted on my Nylon 66 for now & have a Ruger 10/22 for iron sight plinking..
Gary/Hk
Remington Nylon 66 Rear Sight Assembly Removed
Rear Sight Assembly "Tang" Shown Upside Down
Rivet Hole in Reciever Cover Shown From The Top
Threads on Reciever Cover
HEADKNOCKER
Nylon Newbie

Postby snake803 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 am

HEADKNOCKER,
The rear sight needs to be removed from the receiver cover to gain access to the botom end of the rear sight elevation screw.....The washer is then placed over the end of the screw and the protruding end upset to retain the washer...The rear sight needs then to be reattached to the receiver cover by re-riveting..... Be sure to position the windage screw prior to re-riveting....Extreme care must be taken to aviod messing up the finish of the receiver cover while removing and replacing the rivet....
The best way I have found to set the rivet is to use a brass block to cushion the rivet head and upset the base to hold the sight tight... Remember that the rear leaf of the sight moves up and down on the elevation screw... The screw remains stationary... I have several small head windage screws in stock.... I'll ship you one, plus a rivet for $12.00... Please use my e-mail....
snake803@juno.com
JIM......................
MMC(ss) /CWO-3 /LCDR..USNR-Ret... SWCA#1911
snake803
Nylon Ninja

Postby HEADKNOCKER » Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks snake803..
email on it's way..
I found a place in georgia MiGa Gunparts that also told me they have the parts as well..
I posted this in the WTB Section!!
Thanks again as My Nylons Birthday Month is June 1959 making it 50 years old..
Gary/Hk
HEADKNOCKER
Nylon Newbie

Postby HEADKNOCKER » Sun May 31, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm getting my stuff together to replace that rivet..
I can hold the receiver cover in a padded vise & just drilled a small hole in a steel punches head about the size I'd like the bottom of the rivet to become, Of course this will vary on the lenth of the rivet
I need to get a big brass fitting from work that's flat on two sides to make a holder for the rivet..
Also have a Ball peen hammer or two..
I'll probobly use masking tape on the cover to insure I won't damage the blueing or scratch the ole Girl up..
June 1st is Tomarrow & My N66MH Turns 50 years old..
I should throw a party & put Her on Display in the Rifle Rack!!
gary/Hk
HEADKNOCKER
Nylon Newbie

Return to Service, Repairs, Parts and Accessories